Tips for Black Mold Removal in the Home

by BMRT on 10:50 am

The danger of mold has been an issue for ages. Known as the hidden danger, mold can pose a serious threat to you and your family. There are various different types of mold that can become a problem in the home. One of the more serious is black mold. Also known as Stachybotrys it can potentially be dangerous to the health and even deadly.

You should be able to tell this type of mold by the color as it is a brownish or blackish shade and usually slimy in texture. Most people notice mold by seeing spots of it along the wall and ceiling.

For black mold removal, there are a few vital steps involved. You can take this task on as a DIY project but in that case, you need to ensure the removal process goes over properly. First, determine what the source of the problem is. Dampness and moisture is the most common cause of mold growth. If there is moisture coming in through the walls you may need to have your home properly insulated.

On the other hand if you can see a leak that is a whole other problem altogether. Stop the leak then clean up the mess of water on the floor or walls. Fans and dehumidifiers can help clean up a wet mess and once the initial problem is dealt with, you can move forward with the removal.

When learning how to remove black mold the first step is making sure you are protected before going anywhere near it. Wear gloves and a mask to cover your nose and mouth.

Containment is also important because the last thing you want to do is spread the mold spores further around your home. Even just by wiping them off you can end up spreading them and mold can then develop in other places.

It is always best to take things one step at a time. Always stick to one room at a time before moving on to the next. You can set up tarps to help keep the spores from spreading around. Even better is plastic sheeting, which you can buy from any of your local home hardware stores. To clean mold you should start by lightly misting the mold with water. Disinfectant should be used to kill the bacteria and ensure there are no live mold spores left behind.

One of the biggest mistakes that homeowners make is they forget to dry the area after cleaning it. You may have wiped off the mold but if you leave the area damp, it can end up growing right back. You do not want to end up with another mold growth problem so go over the entire area with a dry cloth.

You can take care of a mold problem on your own but in many cases, it is simply wiser to call in a professional. Unless you have quality supplies to protect yourself it will be safer and easier on you to have someone else do the job for you. While the mold problem is being taken care of you and your family should leave the home and stay elsewhere.

Regardless of whether you remove the mold on your own or hire a pro, make sure to continue to check the area every few months or so in the future. Keep an eye out for any regrowth and act immediately if you happen to spot even the smallest spots of mold.

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Alan October 19, 2011 at 6:24 am

Thanks for your tips on treating mold. I found a NEW thought in your article that Tea-tree oil can be used instead of Vinegar .
Alan

BMRT October 26, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Alan, glad you found the tip useful, I’m sure there are many people who will find the smell of vinegar to remove mold a bit too strong in high concentrations. Hopefully tea tree oil will meet their needs without the offensive odor as TT oil smells quite nice.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: